Pilgrimage

You find when you look online a very heartwarming and supportive diabetes community. Please follow this link to one in particular, the very special Six Until Me, where I’ve been given the great opportunity to write a guest post.

Thanks Kerri.

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.

7 Responses to Pilgrimage

1. Chris Allen March 10, 2010 at 1:24 pm #

Hello,

My seven year old daughter was diagnosed six months ago. The anger you get when you first find out is awful. I questioned God many times on why this would happen to her, such a perfect little girl. Then I realized that instead of focusing on the negative I have to redirect myself to the positive and know that I still have my daughter in my life.

-Chris
    Large Shipping Scales

2. Kristin Fitzpatrick February 26, 2010 at 5:05 pm #

Read about you on Keri’s blog – glad to have found you. Our son (1 1/2 yrs old) was diagnosed in October of last year, so I found much to relate to in your posts (especially “sorry 2 hear”). Sorry we’re in the same boat, but reading around online has been a real source of sanity and perspective. Thanks for posting, and all the best for your family –

3. Jennifer Schuessler February 23, 2010 at 3:55 pm #

I, too, when asked, “How is Owen doing?” often just say, “He’s fine.” I don’t add–Well, he’s really not fine and probably never will be, but you don’t really want to hear all the gory details, so I’ll just pacify you so you can go along happily with your life. Meanwhile, I have this precious little soldier at home who carries on every day. The pokes, the needles, the sugar pills, all these things that will follow us through all our days and weigh me down with sadness. My heart is broken for my child, but I have to pretend it’s not. Today I am having a little trouble pretending.

4. Jules Budd February 21, 2010 at 2:33 pm #

Thank you for blogging and sharing. My son, Frank, was diagnosed on 10th October at 5:10pm 2008. He was two. I was horrified. The biggest source of support has been here at my fingertips. We have no support network of family and yet we have survived a year of this and are getting stronger.
    It has been of immesurable importance to me to know that there are others “out there” who do have an idea of what it’s like. Of the constant, absolutely constant, level of awareness required to help your child survive.
    I am so grateful for this community. No one , but no one, knows this condition unless they are living it.
    It now makes me smile when someone says “How’s Frank these days?” because sometimes I just say “Fine, thanks” and sometimes I tell them about how it really is and they look frightened at the amount of information and back away!! Is it my dark British sense of humour that finds that funny?!
    Keep blogging. Lovely, intelligent, heartfelt writing.

5. Sarah Morrow February 21, 2010 at 12:10 pm #

Our daughter Virginia was diagnosed 1-1/2 years ago. She was 5 years old, blood sugar 840 that autumn day. I appreciate every emotion you put words to. Thank you.
    For us, life is much smoother now than it was. It took a while. This has made us different parents, now that we live with the constant reminder of how precious our children really are. There have been silver linings that are unexpected and beautiful. But we will gladly trade them for a cure.
    Thank you again for your thoughtful writing. This is such a heartfelt community of families.

P.S. We have a Salter nutritional scale which has been invaluable for carb counting, especially fresh unpackaged foods (since you wrote about the doubt around carb counting). It has eliminated most guessing and made our life easier.

6. jeanne birmingham February 19, 2010 at 6:35 am #

Hi Steve,
    My 5 year old son was diagnosed last June. I too empathize with all that you are dealing with.
    Really- Thank you for blogging.
    Last week my son said “mom I am getting used to the pokes, they don’t hurt anymore” this statement made me both happy and sad.

7. Pam February 18, 2010 at 5:45 pm #

Hi Steve,
    My 8 year old daughter was diagnosed last January.
    (After writing that sentence, I felt as if there’s nothing else to say. Sometimes that one statement says it all. I empathize with all you’re dealing with right now. I have found such support online, and I wish for you the peace, though ours is admittedly fragile at times, we’ve settled into these past 13 months.)